Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chapter Six: The Rejection

A little warning that there may be some material not appropriate for a younger crowd near the end of the chapter.


It was soon Fall and many things had changed since Star and I had talked after Rosamund and my first date.  Soon after, Rosamund and I had gone on another date and that led to many more. It was official, Rosamund and I were dating and a couple. I really enjoyed spending time with her and occasionally talking with her parents.
 
 

I had run for student body president and with the help of Peter, Star and Rosamund, had run a successful campaign and for the fourth straight year, I was elected president.  One thing the campaign had done was allow Star and Rosamund to get to know each other better. While I was sure that they weren’t ever going to be best friends, they seem to put their differences aside and could at least have a civil conversation.

My morning routine had changed quite a bit too. Star and her Mom were still coming over for breakfast but several weeks ago, Peter walked into the house and said he was there to take Star to school. I was confused since Star had never mentioned anything about it to me. For a while, she and I had still ridden to school together but I was also picking up Rosamund. I didn’t think it was a big deal until the morning Peter showed up.  When we got outside I asked her what was going on and she explained that she figured that Star and I might like to be alone and she had asked Peter if he was able to drive Star to school. I tried to convince Star that it was okay for her to still ride with Rosamund and me but she seemed to be convinced that she needed to ride with Peter.

After Star started riding with Peter, I began to notice that the both of them started spending more time together. I wasn’t sure if there was something going on between them. It was hard to tell but I did notice that he touched her more than before and it definitely got me wondering.
 
 

It was a Saturday and I was getting ready to go have dinner at Rosamund’s house. When I had picked her up for our last date, her mom and dad had invited me over to have dinner at their house. I had to admit that I was a little nervous. I had never eaten at someone’s house that had a butler. I had no idea what to wear or if I was going to stress over which fork I needed to use. Rosamund had tried to reassure me that what I normally wore on our dates was fine and that we weren’t going to be having a formal dinner. She told me if that ever happened, she’d be more than happy to help me learn which utensils to use.
 
 

I said goodbye to Mom and Dad and drove to her house.   I liked her house, but I liked how our house was decorated more.  I wondered how Rosamund would react to our house since it was decorated so different.  She hadn’t been to my house yet and Mom was bugging me to bring her by at some point. I was not too thrilled with the idea since I was sure Mom would make a big deal about it and probably embarrass me.

I walked up the stairs to her house and rang the bell waiting for their butler to answer the door.
 
 

“Good evening sir.”

“Good evening Humphrey.”

“If you’ll follow me to the sitting room sir.”

I walked inside and went into the sitting room. Humphrey asked me to have a seat and I complied. I hadn’t been sitting long when I heard someone approaching from the foyer. I stood up and watched to see who was coming.
 
 

“Hi Jefferson! I’m so excited that you’re having dinner here tonight!” Rosamund walked in and my jaw almost hit the ground. She was of course dressed fashionably, like always, but what got me was her hair. I had never seen her with her hair down and it was absolutely beautiful. I started daydreaming about running my hands through her hair.

“Jefferson, did you hear me?” I had been so busy daydreaming that I didn’t hear what she had said.
 
 

“Hmm? Oh, I guess I didn’t.”

“Mom and Dad will be down in a minute. In the meantime, they suggested that I give you a tour of the house.” She said and held out her hand for me to grab.

I walked over to her and grabbed a hold of her hand. She smiled at me and led me through an archway.
 
 

“This is Daddy’s study/office. He spends quite a bit of time in here doing things that I’m sure you’d understand but I have no idea what it is.” I had never seen so many books in one room. Our living room had many books but nothing like this, and we didn’t have a study/office in our house. There wasn’t a need for one.

We walked back into the foyer and walked into a hallway. The first archway on the left had a kitchen. “This of course is the kitchen.”
 
 
“Do you cook?” I couldn’t envision Rosamund cooking.
 
 
“Of course I do! From a young age Momma has taught me how to cook and bake. She jokes that it’s one way that she’s kept Daddy in love with her for so many years. ‘A well fed man, is a happy man’ she always says.”

“I guess I just figured since you have a butler that he cooked.”

“He does sometimes but mostly Momma cooks.  She even cooked dinner tonight.” I made a mental note to praise Mrs. Carter for the meal.

We looked to the other side of the hall and walked into the dining room. “Here’s our dining room.  We use it quite a bit with Daddy having political people over for dinner.”
 
 

We walked further down the hallway and came to another room.

“This is our family room. We don’t use it much so I don’t know why it’s called a family room.” I thought about our family room and how it was always busy. When Bridge still lived at home it was even more crowded. There was almost always someone in there watching TV, reading, playing the piano, or on the computer.
 
 

“It’s the complete opposite at my house. You can’t keep people out of our family room.”

“Huh. Well maybe I’ll have to see your house sometime to see why that is.” She said with a big grin.
 
 

“Mom’s been hinting at you coming over so we’ll have to do that soon.” I smiled back at her. So if you’re not spending much time in here, where do you spend your time?”
 
 

“Usually in my room.” She said in a low voice. “I’ll have to show you that, later.” I was taken back a little by her suggestive behavior. I decided to try to change the subject.

“So, should we go back to the sitting room?” She grabbed my hand and we walked back into the sitting room. Mr. and Mrs. Carter were sitting there waiting for us.
 
 

“Hello Jefferson! Good to see you again.” Mr. Carter and I shook hands.

“Hello Mr. Carter; Mrs. Carter.”

“Please, call me Robert and Rosamund’s mom Regina.”
 
 

“Shall we go into the dining room and have dinner?” Regina suggested.

We all walked into the dining room and Humphrey brought us all a salad. As we ate, we talked about Robert’s career and some of the trials he was working on.

“Daddy! While I’m sure Jefferson is interested in your work, can we please talk about something else?”

“I’m sorry, darlin’; you’re right. I’ve been monopolizing the conversation. How’s school been going for you, Jeff?”

“It’s been going well, sir. I’m on my way to hopefully getting straight A’s this semester. I can thank Rosamund for part of that since I’m not a big fan of English and having her in class with me has been a big help.” I looked over at her and she smiled sheepishly.
 
 

“Well I’m glad Rosie’s been able to help you.”

“Daddy! You know I don’t like being called Rosie!”
 
 

“I’m sorry. I keep forgetting, it’s so hard to remember that you’re almost grown and I’ll always see you as my little Rosie.” Rosamund blushed and looked sweetly at her dad.
 
 

“I know Daddy, but it’s just a little embarrassing when you call me that in front of others.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

We continued to chat through dinner and dessert and made our way into the family room.

“That was a wonderful meal Mrs. Carter, I mean Regina. Thank you so much for inviting me.”
 
 

“Oh you are more than welcome Jefferson. Thank you for saying such sweet things about my cooking. You know Rosamund is a wonderful cook herself. You should cook for him sometime Rosamund.” I looked over at her and she was blushing.
 
 

After talking for a little bit, Robert and Regina excused themselves to the study. Before them leaving Rosamund asked them if she could give me a tour of the upstairs.

“Absolutely! We’ll be up to go to bed soon.”

“Okay.” We followed them into the foyer and then walked up the stairs. When we got to the top of the stairs we went to the right, and then towards the front of the house to a set of double doors.  Rosamund opened the doors and inside was a black grand piano.
 
 

“I’m guessing you have one of these in your house since your mom was a composer.” She said.
 

 
“Yup. We don’t have a music room though. Ours is in the family room. Do any of you play?”

“Mom and I play a little. What about you?”

“That was one of the things that all of us have had to do. We all took piano lessons from Mom. I stopped after middle school though. I didn’t inherit the music gene from Mom.”
 
 

“Want to try to play something together?” She asked me.

“I don’t know, Rosamund. It’s been a while since I played.”

“Oh come on! It will be fun!”

She grabbed my hand and led me to the piano. We both sat down and she turned to a piece that didn’t look too hard. “I’ll play the left hand and you play the right.” She said.

We started playing and at first it didn’t sound very good. We were both missing notes and our fingers were fumbling all over the keys. As we kept going we both got better and by the end it wasn’t too bad. We stopped playing and looked at each other, both of us smiling. I was about to lean in to kiss her when I heard someone clapping.
 
 

“Bravo! That was wonderful you two.”
 
 

Both Robert and Regina had come into the music room and were clapping at our effort. “I don’t know about wonderful, didn’t you hear us at the beginning Daddy?”

“Oh you’re too hard on yourself. It was great! We’re on our way to bed. It’s probably time for Jefferson to head home. Not that we don’t enjoy your company Jefferson, but it is getting late.”

“I should be heading home. I’m sure my Mom will start worrying soon if I don’t head home.”

“I haven’t finished giving Jefferson a tour of the house though. Can I quickly finish and then he can leave?”
 
 

“That’s fine, but don’t take too long.” Regina said. I watched as they said goodnight to each other and then Rosamund came back over to the piano.

“Come on. I have one more room I want to show you.” I stood up and followed her across the upstairs foyer to another set of double doors. She opened them and we both walked into a bedroom.

“This is my room. I just love it! I feel so relaxed when I’m in here.” I watched as she walked over to her bed and she laid down on it.
 
 

I stood there starting to feel uncomfortable. I didn’t like being in her room alone.  I thought maybe I was overreacting and tried to calm myself. “So your dad calls you Rosie.” Ever since he had called her that at dinner I was curious about it.

“Yeah. That goes back to when I was a little girl. I’ve always been his little Rosie.  I don’t really mind it so much when he calls me that around Momma or other family but it’s a little embarrassing around other people.”

“I think it’s sweet.” She got up off the bed and started walking over to me. She had a look in her eyes that was making me feel nervous.

“Umm. . . So do you really dislike hearing about your dad’s work?” I was trying to get a hold of the situation.

“It’s not that, it’s just that he would have gone on and on about it and I’m more interested in what you have to say.” She was standing right in front of me, there was no denying that she had a seductive look in her eyes. Coming in here was a bad idea.
 
 

“Rosamund, it’s getting late and I should start heading home.”

“If you’re worried about my parents, they’ve gone to bed.” She said in a low, seductive tone.

“Rosamund. What exactly are you trying to do?” That seemed to snap her out of it.
 
 

“Jefferson, we’re in my room, alone; my parents have gone to bed, and we’re dating. I just thought we’d have a little fun.”

“It’s not going to happen, Rosamund.” She looked at me shocked.
 
 

“It’s. . .What do you mean? Aren’t you attracted to me?” I walked over to the couch and motioned for her to join me. She sat down and I tried to explain to her.

“It has nothing to do with whether I’m attracted to you; which, I am. We’ve been dating long enough for you to know that most of what I do is because of what I want to do with my life. I want to go into politics. I can’t afford to do anything now or in the future that would cause me to lose the opportunity to do what I dream of doing. Having sex is one of those things. What would happen if I got a girl pregnant? That would be it. I’d be done. My career would be over before it even started.”
 

 
“But what if we used protection?” She tried.
 
 

“Even that isn’t one hundred percent. I can’t take the risk Rosamund. No matter how attracted I am to you.”

She looked disappointed. The truth was, I had never been attracted to a girl as much as I was to Rosamund. Everything about her was beautiful and it took every ounce of self-control I had to reject her advances. I put my hand on hers and gave it a squeeze. She looked up at me and gave me a little smile.

“I’m sorry Jefferson. I didn’t even think about that.” She looked down again “So what can we do?”
 
 

I leaned over and kissed her. She wrapped her arms around my waist and kissed me back.  We stood there kissing for several minutes before I regained my composure.
 
 

“Rosamund, I really should get going.”

She kissed me one last time and sighed. “Alright.”

I stood up from the couch and held out my hand for her. She got up and we walked out of her room and down the stairs to the front door. We stood outside for several minutes kissing each other. I was finding it hard to leave her. I finally pulled away and looked down at her. “I’ll call you tomorrow, okay?”
 
 
 
She looked at me and nodded. “Be careful going home.” She told me. I kissed her one last time and walked to my car.
 
 
 

She stood outside watching me leave until I started pulling away from her house. I drove home thinking about how I had never before come close to losing my self-control. I had never experienced the feelings I had for Rosamund and it almost scared me how my feelings had almost made me lose control.

 

6 comments:

  1. Omg, my respect for Jeff just went up past 100 percent. LOL. I already thought he was awesome, of course, XD. He's a teenage boy, and he was so smart not to give into his hormones. I can relate to Jeff, I know what I want to do, and nothing will stand in my way, especially babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff has his head on straight, most of the time. Like you pointed out, he's a teenage boy so hopefully he'll continue to go down the path he wants and not get swayed down a different path. Good for you! I was the same way!

      Delete
  2. hmmm, clearly I was more like Rosamund than Jeff in high school (whoa, TMI!)

    She's a vixen, RUN Jeff...right into Star's arms please and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! If only they would listen to us!!! Oh to correct the mistakes of the past. . .

    :) You crack me up!

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosamund is a little vixen. I saw that coming a mile away. Good for Jeff for not giving in, at least not this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosamund is many things and vixen would definitely be one of them. lol! Yeah she's pretty obvious about her intent. :)

      He really should listen to Star about Rosamund, but he's completely blind right now. :(

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete